The Clever Wish

Posted by on November 30, 2012

Hi, this week we have been writing our own Wishing story’s. My character is called Sophie and she lives on a farm, in a little old village. They are so poor that her mum is sat in bed with blue, numb fingers because they couldn’t afford wood to light a fire. Then Sophie goes out to feed her horses, when she hears a noise. She goes to investigate and she finds a creature stuck in the brambles. She pulls the brambles to one side and looking back at her is a unicorn, which she sets free. To her astonishment the Unicorn started to talk, he said “For setting me free I will grant you one wish.” After that Sophie is pacing up and down wondring what she should wish for. Then her ancient father came in, “Father, father! If you had but one wish what would wish for?”
“I wish I could walk. For the last 10 years all I have know is this wheelchair.” Of course  her father was right.

Later on, her mother came in “Mother, mother! If you had one wish what would you wish for?” “I’d wish for a nice cottage to keep us warm.” Of course, her mother was right too. Then her husband came in “Husband, husband! If you had but one wish what would wish for?”
“I’d wish for money, for we are so poor we will starve to death.” Of course her husband was right. Sophie did not know which to choose.
Night came and Sophie went outside to tell the Unicorn her wish. The unicorn came thundering across the field and stood right in front of Sophie. “So sophie what is your wish?”
“I wish that my father can walk into our cottage, full of money.”
“A good wish, a clever wish!” With a toss of it’s mane and a flick of its tail, the Unicorn thundered back into the forest. As Sophie was wallking up the path she noticed that the barn had changed into a cottage and she saw her Father walking in to the cottage. Sophie was just about to walk in to the cottage when she heard some money and her Mother cackling with joy. Sophie stepped inside and she got washed away in money!

Are you writing a new story?

from Charley

2 Responses to The Clever Wish

1. Ross Mannell

Hello Charley,

This is a brilliant story. I was fascinated from beginning to end as you told the story of Sophie and her eventual wise wish. Her thoughtfulness resulted in her mother, father and husband being happy and, I suspect, she had her own wish for happiness granted in doing so.

Well done. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

2. classms

Hi, I love literacy it’s really good. I like your story Charley, it’s really good.

3. Anonymous

Good story Charley!

From Jamie

4. Anonymous

Wonderful story! You so cleverly draw on so many different traditions.